Saturday, September 26, 2009

PIFA


Today Mona and I went to San Diego with Leilani; a new lady we met through Jay, for the Pacific Island Festival, we worked at the GCN and FDN booth. We passed out the different programs and information about different health related issues which had a couple of different languages on them; marshallese, chammorro, and english. Some of the health info that we were giving out and talking a little about were mammograms, cardiovascular, diets, and diabetes.



We also met other marshallese there that we've never met before, we learned about their life and how they came about to the states. I was curious to why they chose to move here to the states instead of wanting the simple life back at the Marshall Islands. It was nice to hear them speak pure fluent marshallese, it just brings back memories of the the islands and the simple lifestyle I once lived. And although I miss home a lot, I've grown accustomed to the lifestyle here in the U.S. but still I wouldn't mind taking a short vacation back home. The food at the festival was great, there were lots of pretty island merchandises, and the performances were awesome that I'll for sure come back next year. This was actually our first time attending PIFA and I thought that today was a good 1st time experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment